Last week I paid a visit to Tokyo Nights, Night Tales latest pop up residing in Shoreditch’ Red Market. I heard the Night Tales team had spent weeks in Japan researching ways of recreating an ‘authentic Tokyo Night’, so my expectations were high and I couldn’t wait to see what they were hiding behind that long illuminated alleyway. The impressive entrance is dominated by Japanese neon signs and city lights, with wire antenna’s and birdcages injecting a level of authenticity to the space. As you walk through the ‘downtown streets of Japan’ you’re greeted by the private ‘Love Hotel’, available for private hire and group bookings. The flickering neon lights, crumbling textures, vintage AC units and rusty balcony nods to the world famous ‘pleasure hotels’.
We arrived early to soak up the atmosphere and we started with a drink in the Sake bar upstairs which is beautifully decorated by traditional glowing lanterns. We sat listening to the DJ’s set, people watching and generally enjoying the atmosphere that comes with London’s pop-up scenes. Some of London’s finest street food traders have come together to create exciting Japanese infused menus; Patty & Bun are serving confit chicken wings with a ponzu glaze whilst Dorshi are making authentic Japanese Gyoza Dumplings. Other traders include Walter&Monty, Nanny Bill’s and BubbleDogs. We’d come for the 8-course tasting menu which was in a serene private dining room away from the noise and distractions of the venue. The supper club was founded by Tokyo-born Yoshiko Wada, who grew up in an environment of traditional culinary excellence passed down by her grandmother.
- Salmon Sashimi served with chive, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, ponzu and hot sesame oil.
- Gyu-Tataki – Beef fillet tataki served with fried garlic, spring onion and ginger ponzu.
- Iberico Pork Shabu-Shabu Salad served with mixed cress salad and spicy soy dressing.
- Spicy Tuna Tartar served on crispy rice cake with shiso & chive.
- Saikyouyaki Maki Sushi – Rolled sushi with grilled black cod, shiso and pickled ginger.
- Mixed Japanese Mushrooms Tempura served with Truffle Salt.
- Ebi Mayo marinated and fried king prawn with spicy marie rose sauce and chive
- Wagyu Scotch Egg served with teriyaki plum sauce.
Highlights of the menu for me have to be the Wagyu Scotch Egg and the Mixed Japanese Mushroom Tempura – I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
Catherine | Project Co-ordinator & PA to Director